This is the song that never ends...: Things that are fun.

This is the song that never ends...

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Things that are fun.

Things that are fun:

1. Going to an amusement park and riding the roller coasters
2. Shopping and getting a great deal
3. Eating ice cream or a really good brownie (with walnuts, of course)
4. Working on a craft project and having it come out perfectly
5. Playing with puppies and kittens

Things that aren't fun:

1. Getting a cervical Foley catheter.

Ick. Double-ick.

Went to the hospital today wishin' and hopin' that I was already dilated to 2cm because then I wouldn't have to get the Foley. Met with the OB nurse who also happens to be John's friend's wife. We chatted for a while and had a generally good time. I was brought into the 'procedure room' for the actual, ummm, procedure and the doc was pretty awesome. He checked me out and I was a ginormous 1.5cm--bah. At least I progressed half a centimeter.... Anyway, the procedure itself was really no big deal, felt just like a regular gynecological exam. The fun began when the doc said that was a little bit of bleeding on my uterus or cervix or whatever and that he was going to wipe it off with a cotton swab---ugh. Not nice.

Thanked the doc and proceeded back to triage for monitoring and then all hell started to break loose. The nurse said it was normal for a little bit of cramping to happen and that it would taper off after a little while. Well, I had some steady 'cramps' (they were contractions in my book) that were coming about every five minutes and then progressed to every two minutes. They were pretty painful and reminded me of a severe menstrual cramp and the need to poo with a giant gas bubble all at the same time. The pain radiated to my lower back for a while and every time I got a good one, John would hold my hand.

We swung off and got some Chinese food because I was StArViNg like you wouldn't believe (I waited in the car while he ran in) and proceeded to head home. I was only able to eat if I stood up because the pain seemed to be a lot less intense if I was standing. Laid down for a while amd then the intervals went from every two minutes, to five minutes to ten, to twelve and so on until they pretty much died completely.

I'm good right now. Going to the bathroom is interesting because I have a tube hangin' out of my hoo-ha. I have to sit gingerly because the feeling of the tube moving is just a little bit off-putting for me.

I still can't believe that I'm going to have a baby tomorrow. The nurse is trying to swing it so that we can get in really early since there are only 3 inductions scheduled in our wing of the hospital. She seems to think that we'll be able to spit the little bugger out within 8 hours. One can hope, right?

Current worries:

1. I'm going to puke at some point
2. The baby will be missing/will have some malformation of some vital organ/body part
3. I'll need a C-section
4. I'm going to puke at some point

We should be discharged Sunday if all goes well. I'll try to update sometime around then...

Push 'em out, push 'em out, waaaaaaaaaay out!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

web counter