This is the song that never ends...: This is the song that never ends...

This is the song that never ends...

Monday, September 12, 2005

This is the song that never ends...

...yes, it goes on and on, my friend. Story of my life, really.

Welcome to my new blog! I've been playing around with blogs for quite some time now and I never had a real purpose behind them. I've also been playing around with health and fitness for a very long time and, like the above, never had real purpose---or accountability for that matter. Well, I decided to marry the two and see what fruits could be born. So, I present to you my Phit Life Blog. Grab a cup of coffee, sit back, and watch the magic unfold. Oh... sorry, got caught up.....

For starters, let's get to know PhitLee (me). I'm 28, I live in Canada although I was raised in Detroit---the real Detroit, thankyouverymuch. The ghetto. The hood. The 'D'. I'm not one of those people who are really from some quaint subdivision 35 minutes away and told people they were from Detroit. No, sirree. I actually had to hide in my bathtub on New Year's Eve so that I would be safe from stray gunfire.

I got married in 2003 and immigrated to Canada to live with my husband in the country. It was and still is quite the culture shock for me, but I'm slowly getting used to this type of life and all of the bugs (literally, mosquitoes, grasshoppers and the biggest, meanest, nastiest crickets you ever saw---they're like country roaches) that come along with it.

I was overweight for most of my life. I have pictures from kindergarten where I was the big one to the left in the handmade dress (we didn't have much money). I think I hit 5'4.5" in the second grade and stopped growing. I wasn't athletic at all and consistently 'forgot' my bathing suit in swimming class or my gym clothes in PE so that I wouldn't have to show my body or my self-perceived inability to use it.

Fast-forward to the year 2000-I was ending a poor, long-term relationship and was depressed beyond belief. I was taking the injectable contraceptive Depo-Provera at the time and had gained 60 pounds putting me at an all-time max of about 215 pounds. I broke off the relationship, quit the drugs, moved out and tried to start a new life. I was teaching aerobics a couple times a week when I was at my high weight, which leads me to believe the drugs played a huge part in my gain (mood swings which seemed to bring me to 7-Eleven more than I care to admit). I took on a new aerobics class that had me teaching an additional 4 classes a week on top of my 3 current ones. I was busy, I'm sure I wasn't eating enough, either, however, the weight started to come off. Some of the students in my classes started to notice and make encouraging comments. It was at that time I met my now husband. He was training for the NYC Marathon and I was just tickled to finally meet someone who was interested in fitness! He was an angel and when I think back to how I looked (and I know it's awful to think this way) back then, I can't believe he was attracted to me. I still shake my head and wonder how I could have found someone like him who was able to see past the exterior and right into the interior. [sidenote: I secretly wondered if he had a thing for fat girls, but read on...]

As our relationship blossomed, we started to do active things together, running, biking, walking, hiking, you name it. In 2001, we noticed an advertisement for a 12 week program called Body for Life and decided to commit to the 12 weeks. We did really well and felt awesome after. I lost about 20 pounds and 3 dress sizes (from a 16/18 to a 12) and he did great, too. I finished at around 162 pounds and the support that he offered was amazing. We worked out together, talked about our '10's and shared the joys that BFL really brings.

We were married in 2003 and I was commuting from Canada to the States every day for work. The 90-minute commute one-way was really starting to show on my ass after the first couple years. Fast-forward to today and I'm still sitting here at about 164 lbs. Sure, I maintained most of my loss, but the change in body definition is staggering. After BFL, my body composition shifted into a well-proportioned shape. When I let that go for two years and doing only on-again/off-again workouts, everything kinda headed south...literally. I tried BFL halfheartedly a couple times in the interim but never finished. I always managed to somehow talk myself out of doing it.

Well, I'm happy to say that I'm now in my 4th week of my BFL Challenge 2. John and I decided to do this one together and although he's only completed maybe 6 workouts (I think he's doing this as a way to support me and not really because he wants to do it----shhhhh....don't tell him I know....) we're both doing fairly well. My motivation as of late has been waning a bit and I figured I could use this blog as a way to spark myself into it again. I'm a pretty motivated person by nature and sometimes I just need a kick in the pants to stir things up.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Nice stuff...you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a wealth from home site. It pretty much covers wealth from home related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
web counter